National Day of Truth and Reconciliation
The Heights Merchants Association respectfully observes the Day of National Truth and Reconciliation on Sept. 30. We invite our community to do the same, if and how you are able. If you need to work on that day, consider incorporating some activities into your work day or discuss with your team. Here are some ideas:
1. Visit the website www.native-land.ca and look up the territory where you live, or where you were born.
2. Text this phone number: 1-907-312-5085 with your city and province. It will tell you the indigenous territory name, spelling and pronunciation.
3. Make a donation to one of the following charities (or find a related charity of your choice):
4. Take an hour of your day to research and learn something new about Truth and Reconciliation. Some ideas:
- Read the National Truth and Reconciliation Report
- Read the Indigenous History in Burnaby Resource Guide online.
- Develop an Indigenous Land Acknowledgement Statement for your company and/or learn about why land acknowledgements are helpful and important.
- Take some time to watch live broadcasts of ceremonies elsewhere in Canada, or watch specially created public education programs for National Truth and Reconciliation.