Parade arrival and sign-in
- Entrants must arrive no later than 9 a.m., or risk losing their spot in the parade.
On the morning of the parade, each group’s representative must sign in at the Parade
Information & Registration Table located on the north side of Hastings Street and Beta Avenue.
- Entrants that arrive and do not conform to the creative description approved by the Hats Off Day Parade Selection Committee may be rejected.
Parade Assembly Instruction
- Large (oversize) vehicles must arrive no later than 8:00 a.m. and enter at Gamma Avenue and Hastings Street.
These groups must arrive earlier than the others because parking for large entries becomes very difficult as congestion builds. Parade placement numbers will be indicated on the curbs of both the north and south sides of Hastings Street.
- Beginning at 8:30 a.m., all other parade vehicles should enter at Gamma Avenue and Dundas Street where they will be directed to a pre-designated assembly area along the east side of Beta Avenue, north of Hastings Street.
- After you have parked your car in the designated location, you must check-in by 9 a.m. at the Parade Information and Registration table (on the north side of Hastings Street and Beta Avenue). Please ensure you do not block any other group members and roadways.
- Pedestrian-only groups will be directed to the west side of Beta Avenue between Hastings and Albert Streets and along Albert Street between Beta and Alpha Avenues, where they will assemble. Once assembled, you must check-in at the Parade Information and Registration table.
- Once the parade begins, volunteers will help you merge into the parade. Please remain alert and wait for your cue to enter the parade.
Parade Pace and Proceedings
- All groups are expected to “keep the pace.” This means that groups must walk or drive at a pace that keeps up with the group in front of them. This is essential to reduce accordion-style gaps and squeezes in the parade. Gaps are not fun for the audience to watch and squeezes put pressure on everyone.
- Parade entrants are not permitted to stop along the parade route for any reason. This includes stopping to chat with friends or relatives, or stopping to entertain the crowd. The parade must keep moving.
- All entrants are expected to complete the entire parade route, which continues to Boundary Road. Not complying to this rule will disqualify you from next year’s parade.
- For safety reasons, all entrants are prohibited from throwing or distributing materials along the parade route before or during the parade. Do not throw anything on to the street!
- All parade entrants must exit north (turn right) at Boundary Road.
- Vehicle parade entries must exit north (turn right) at Boundary Road and must turn right on to Albert Street to the dispersal area.
- Pedestrians must move onto the sidewalks immediately, and to respect spectators watching the parade, please exit north (turn right) at Boundary Road and walk along Albert Street, back to the festival area.
Approved participants in the 2018 Hats Off Day Parade who do not adhere to the Parade Criteria and Guidelines as outlined above may be denied entry in the Hats Off Day parade in following years, at the discretion of the Hats Off Day Parade Committee. Thank you for your cooperation.