We're looking for a creative, friendly and hard-working team member to coordinate our marketing and events initiatives.
Marketing and Events Coordinator
Is it you we’re looking for?
We are a dynamic, community-based non-profit that is looking for a creative, friendly and hard-working team member to coordinate our marketing and events initiatives. This is a unique marketing and events role that offers a lot of variety and autonomy in a supportive and collaborative work environment.
About the HMA
The Heights Merchants Association BIA serves approximately 500 members (business and property owners) along Hastings Street in the Heights community in north Burnaby.
As a non-profit association, the HMA has a very collaborative culture, where responsibilities are often shared among the small team. It is a warm and supportive work environment.
Those working at the HMA have an opportunity to contribute in a variety of ways, for a purpose that is very meaningful to both our members and to the Burnaby Heights community at large. Due to the nature of a small organization, employees have a chance to work on a broad variety of projects, expand their portfolios, try out new approaches, and be creative.
This full-time, permanent position reports to the Executive Director of the Heights Merchants Association.
This job entails a modest amount of evening and weekend work – an average of 1 or 2 evening shifts per month, depending on events or meetings, and approximately 5 weekend shifts per year. The HMA offers a 37.5 hour work week.
For more information about the HMA and our business improvement area, visit burnabyheights.com/about.
Roles and Responsibilities
Marketing and Media
Marketing is a key component of sustaining economic activity in a neighbourhood commercial district such as the Heights, and attracting new customers to the area.
- Contributes to the planning of marketing and communications strategies, and promotional initiatives, under the direction of the Executive Director.
- Coordinates the execution of marketing activities and programs.
- Maintains our social media presence, primarily on Facebook, Instagram and other channels. Through social media posts, is “the voice” of the Association in a marketing capacity on social media (non-political or advocacy role).
- Proposes and researches the costs and factors of new marketing options and avenues.
- Organizes press/media events and produces supporting public relations materials, including press releases and media kits.
- Maintains our web site, with the assistance of summer staff and Executive Director as needed.
- Contributes to developing ideas for marketing opportunities for our local businesses as needed, and helping local businesses take advantage of them.
- Copywrites and designs advertising and marketing material for events, marketing campaigns and general advertising and promotions.
- Coordinates advertising with applicable media, in keeping with marketing budgets.
- Coordinates Marketing meetings with the HMA Marketing Committee (comprised of various business members of our community) – approximately 1-2 times per year.
- Coordinates activities with marketing summer students, as required.
The HMA hosts approximately four regular (annual) promotional events each year, and up to two non-annual events (usually smaller-scale) each year. These include Hats Off Day, Hallowe’en, Light up the Heights and Lunar New Year (annual) and events such as commemorative launches for new programs or achievements (for example, mural completion celebration).
In addition, the HMA supports local partners, the City of Burnaby, Tourism Burnaby, and the Burnaby Board of Trade, in promoting their Burnaby events.
- Responsible for general event coordination of HMA events, such as Hats Off Day, Crave (dining event), Hallowe’en on the Heights, Light Up the Heights, Lunar New Year.
- Generates ideas and arranges logistics for specific components of Hats Off Day, including staging, roving and stationary entertainment, children’s activities, required facilities, and other factors.
- Responsible for coordinating other aspects of Hats Off Day, including logistics for merchants, event mapping, liaising with sponsors and entertainers, updating the web site, producing marketing materials, and buying media.
- Coordinates activities with other Hats Off Day committee members, such as barricades and traffic, parade coordinator, display coordinator, and so forth.
- Responsible for the planning and coordination of all event advertising.
- Contributes to the fundraising process as it relates to events, and stakeholder appreciation afterwards.
- Liaises with HMA members as it pertains to all events.
- Responsible for member communication as it pertains to all events.
- Contributes to new event ideas.
Member and Stakeholder Relations
Member and stakeholder relations is a critical component of our success, and is at the heart of our communications strategy.
- Maintains database for our membership, strategic partners (stakeholders) and the media.
- Interacts with, and serves, members regarding marketing initiatives, events, trouble-shooting small issues, and so on.
- Coordinates member events such as the Member Mixer and the Annual General Meeting every year.
- Writes and edits the Outlook newsletter, as well as the electronic bulletins and security alerts. Support provided by the executive director, and summer marketing staff when available.
- Assists with advocacy and lobbying efforts as required.
- Communicates with members on issues as directed by the executive director.
- Coordinates mail-outs to membership and stakeholders as required.
Office and Board Related
Office and administrative responsibilities are conducted by all staff in this small organization.
- Helps maintain office cleanliness and order.
- Helps maintain office supplies and takes initiative to re-stock supplies.
- Coordinates committee meetings as required.
- Takes committee or Board meeting notes, as required.
- Maintains organizational records and media files.
- Greets walk-in merchants and local residents, helps them with what they need.
- Provides back-up support to the Executive Director on administrative matters.
- Occasionally handles bank deposits and similar tasks.
- Assumes some of the Executive Director’s duties when the executive director is sick or on vacation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A completed degree or diploma in Business, Communication, Marketing, Public Relations, or similar, with two years of collective work experience, half of which must be in a related field of work (cooperative work experience counts).
- Outgoing and friendly with strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Tact, diplomacy, and general good manners. A sense of humour is a definite asset.
- Strong writing skills, and good editing and proofreading abilities.
- Design-savvy with a working knowledge of layout and design.
- Self-directed and self-motivated.
- High degree of administrative, planning and organizing skills.
- Proven skills in using social media for targeted promotional application.
- Computer/software skills in Social Media platforms, Hootsuite, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS PowerPoint, WordPress, and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop). The HMA uses Google Mail or Outlook for our mail platforms.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating marketing initiatives.
- Able to work well as part of a team, as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Customer-service oriented disposition.
- Interest in, or knowledge/understanding of local or community economies, urban planning/geography or civic issues, would be an asset.
References will be required.
Compensation and Benefits
This position compensates with a competitive salary (commensurate with experience), and extended health benefits (3 month waiting period), professional development training annual allowance, as well as a cell phone allowance. It is a 37.5 hours per week position. The HMA offers a supportive, stimulating and vibrant work environment complemented by a team of dedicated, hard-working volunteer Board of Directors and Committee members. Business Casual work environment.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume summarizing your experience and education to email@example.com.
If you prefer to send in your application package in an “old school” way, mail or deliver it to Heights Merchants Association, 4019 Hastings Street, Burnaby, BC V5C 2J1.
Candidates selected for an interview will be asked to bring a Portfolio showcasing writing, marketing, and/or design samples of past work. We look forward to learning about you!