Hats Off Day Display Information
2015 Theme: Hollywood!
Display Participant Schedule
Saturday, June 6, 2015
Display arrival – by 8:00 a.m.
Display set-up – before 8:30 a.m.
Display take down – 4:00 p.m.
Application forms (completed online only) must be received by Friday, May 1, 2015. There is one area for displays: The Urban Renewal Site (grassy area, south side Hastings and Esmond). Spaces at the display area are limited and will be granted based on creative criteria. Late submissions will not be considered.
Successful applicants will receive confirmation and information regarding the location of their display by Friday, May 8, 2015. Please be sure to set up in the exact location you are assigned and stay for the duration of the day. Relocating without authorization is not permitted.
Rules and Guidelines for Displays
You are responsible for reading this information thoroughly on behalf of your group.
Please inform yourself of all rules and guidelines to help us deliver a safe and fun Hats Off Day.
- Groups must submit their online application by Friday, May 1, 2015. Please see Display Application Form for details.
- Display participants must be one of the following in order to apply:
- Heights-based non-profit groups
- Schools and places of worship serving the Heights community
- Burnaby-based non-profit groups
- Non-Burnaby non-profits will be considered based on their ability to add value to Hats Off Day
- Non-profit cultural groups representing Burnaby interests, membership and/or ethnicity
- Applications will be selected based on how your display can enhance the festival atmosphere on Hats Off Day.
- Successful applicants will have displays that are and/or offer:
- Themed – Hollywood!
- Applications that indicate they will only be providing informational materials and brochures will not be considered.
Rules of Conduct
- Display participants must abide by the set-up/take-down times noted above. Failure to do so may result in future applications not being accepted.
- Display participants are responsible for bringing their own tents, tables, chairs and supplies, and for cleaning up their 12 ft. x 12 ft. (maximum size) display area at the end of the day.
- Display participants should have a banner or sign that clearly identifies their organization.
- The use of any sign or banner for the purposes of identification of a commercial, political or non-profit organization at a display table is permitted. However, any messaging or other promotion of political causes or election campaigns are not permitted.
- Promotional materials are permitted, provided that distribution of the materials is available at the display table only. Distribution of such materials should not extend beyond the confines of the assigned display table.
- Participants are responsible for obtaining any additional insurance or permits that may be required in order to conduct their planned activity. If you have any questions in this area, we will be pleased to offer advice. Contact us at email@example.com
- Participants are expected to conduct themselves in a family-friendly and courteous manner that is consistent with the spirit of the day.
- Participants may not set up in a spot of their own choosing or at their own discretion.
- Political parties may apply for a display spot, but must follow the same guidelines and rules as all other groups. Failure to do so may disqualify entry to Hats Off Day 2016.
Be aware that due to the challenges of orchestrating a large event, certain streets on the Heights will be closed to traffic. For a full list of streets affected, visit the www.hatsoffday.com website beginning in May for up-to-date information.
- Hastings Street will be closed at 8:30 a.m. (Boundary to Gamma). Traffic will be re-routed along Holdom and Boundary to either Parker Street or Lougheed Highway.
- Pender Street will be closed to all traffic (except buses) at 8 a.m.
- Albert Street will be closed from Willingdon to Gamma Avenues to all traffic beginning at 7 a.m.
Due to road closures, parking on the Heights is limited on Hats Off Day. However, some street parking is available, details of which can be found at www.hatsoffday.com (in May 2015). Please follow parking regulations and do not park in areas with “No Parking” or “Special Event Parking Only” signs. Unauthorized vehicles will be towed.
Portable toilet facilities are located along Hastings Street.
Approved participants for the 2015 Hats Off Day Display who do not adhere to the Rules and Guidelines as outlined below may not have their application approved in the following year’s Hats Off Day. Acceptance into Hats Off Day entails a certain commitment to the public through their activities, and an obligation to remain for the entire duration of the festival. Thank you for your cooperation. We wish you a fun and engaging Hats Off Day experience.