2020 Hats Off Day Community Display Zone Rules and Guidelines
The Hats Off Day Display Committee’s first priority is to ensure the safety of all event activities, volunteers, participants, community members, and event visitors. We expect all Community Display Zone entries to abide by our Rules, Regulations, and Guidelines below.
Application submission does not guarantee a display location, as spots are limited and will be selected based on specific creative criteria. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Deadline to apply is: Friday, April 10, 2020
The purpose of Hats Off Day is to bring enjoyment and fun for all the members of our community and showcase our district. Hats Off Day is a community and customer appreciation day, a day to give back to the community, not to take from our public. We ask that applicant to keep this purpose in mind when planning and participating for the event.
Hats Off Day is hosted by the Heights Merchants as our way to take our “hats off” to our community and a day to give back to our customers. In spirit, it’s a customer-appreciation day and a very localized community celebration – a day to celebrate the best of the Burnaby Heights district and invite others to enjoy everything we have to offer here. Outside vendors, mobile vendors, food trucks or other non-Heights businesses are, therefore, not permitted to be in the festival or in the parade.
Those eligible to be in the Community Display Zone are:
- Non-profit associations (Burnaby-based will receive priority)
- Burnaby schools (Burnaby Heights and North Burnaby schools will receive priority).
- Heights community’s places of worship.
Display Ideas and Suggestions:
This year’s theme is SPACE! We want to know how your display will incorporate this year’s astronomically cool theme – those who are more creative will have a better chance at being selected!
Interactive displays, streamers, prizes, celebrities, giveaways, candy, stickers etc. REALLY attract people to displays, and are a great way to get conversation going about your organization! Promotional materials** are encouraged also, provided that distribution of the materials is available at the display table only.
** Please note that distribution of such materials should not extend beyond the assigned display table.
Community Zone Application Process:
There is no application fee for the Community Display Zone, and if your organization is chosen, there is no additional fee to participate.
- To participate in the Community Display Zone, applicants must comply with the Hats Off Day Community Display Zone Rules and Guidelines as well as create an entry that meets safety and logistical requirements of all activities within the law.
- Applications must be completely filled. An incomplete form will not be considered. Keep in mind that an application submission does not guarantee placement in the festival.
- The Display Committee will review all completed applications forms, and based on the eligibility and creativity criteria, the most entertaining and dynamic entries will be selected.
Please keep in mind that space is limited, with only 20 spots available.
- The HOD Display Committee has the right to refuse any application or participation. An approved entry may be refused on festival day should the entry not meet the proper rules and guidelines or is not consistent with their application.
- Display applicants will receive an email confirmation to participate by April 24, 2020.
- The HOD Display Committee will make the final booth position assignment. Booth spot may change. The Hats Off Day committee will inform and update the affected participant as soon as possible when changes occurs.
- A hired Hats Off Day photographer will be capturing images of the Community Display Zone. Participation in this public event signifies your group’s permission to be photographed.
Liability & Insurance:
The participant assumes all responsibility for their property, including any and all loss, theft, or damage to the display, equipment and other property.
General Participation Terms and Conditions:
- Alcohol and drugs are strictly prohibited in the Community Displays Zone. Any participants found with alcohol or other substances will be removed from the festival immediately and reported to the appropriate authorities.
- Smoking and vaping are not permitted in the Community Displays Zone.
- In an effort to adopt a more sustainable practice, Hats Off Day has a Helium Balloon Policy. We ask all Hats Off Day participants to refrain from using helium in balloons.
- Solicitation for cash, donations, merchandise sales or tickets sales is not permitted.
- Political or cause campaigning are not permitted. Hats Off Day is a non-partisan, non-political event.
The Community Displays Zone is located at the grassy area on the south side of 3800 Hastings St (in between Ingleton and Esmond Ave), just east of the “Welcome to Burnaby” sign.
Schedule for Hats Off Day Displays:
- Set up for the booth is from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Parade begins at 9:30 a.m. with the Motorcycle Drill Team, and finishes around 11 a.m. or so (roughly, depending on the speed of the parade)
- Street Festival: 11:15 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Clean up/tear down: 4 p.m
- Street reopens: 5 p.m.
* Please do not dismantle your display area before 4 p.m., as leaving early diminishes the liveliness and fun of the festival.
Please be sure to set up in the exact location you are assigned (site map and display site numbers will be emailed to participants) and “markers” will be placed on the grass where your site is from 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 6, 2020). Relocating without authorization is not permitted.
We recommend you arrive at your site around 7:45 a.m., as you will have access to Hastings St. to unload any items for your site. At 8:30 a.m., the road becomes closed to vehicles for parade preparation.
Hats Off Day will officially end at 4 p.m. and we expect the display sites to be manned from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the spirit of the day. Please arrange enough volunteers at your display during these times, even if you are also participating in the parade.
Space allocated for each site will be approximately 12 ft. x 12 ft. located on the grass. Please do not set up your display on the sidewalk beforehand, there will be markings on the grass determining each display spot. This is the maximum size allocated to your group unless you have otherwise pre-arranged with us and have received confirmation that extra space has been set up.
Display site groups should have a banner or sign that clearly identifies their organization on the day.
- There are limited power outlets at the site, so you must request beforehand if you require access to electricity via the lamp posts. You are responsible for your own extension cords, as we cannot supply them. Alternatively, you may bring your own generator, but please let us know if you plan to use one, as the motor noise will impact nearby performances, and we will need to place your display site in a suitable spot accordingly.
- Each non-profit display must supply their own tables, chairs, cover, shades, canopies, tents, pens, paper, extension cords, electrical tape, scissors etc. Neither the Heights Merchants Association nor the Hats Off Day committee will be supplying these to you.
Please be prepared for any kind of weather (but have your fingers crossed for sunshine!).
Participants will receive special event pass(es) in the mail before the festival to have on the day.
The Special Events Vehicle Pass entitles a vehicle to park in designated Special Events Vehicle areas only. Parking outside of these zones, or in laneways, will result in a parking ticket or towing. A holder of this pass may also be permitted to load and unload event materials, gear and supplies in No Stopping zones on Hastings Street on Saturday June 6th, prior to 8:30 a.m.
Signs will be placed in surrounding areas of Hats Off Day in regards to parking, so take the time to read and abide by them. If you are unsure where you should park after you have unloaded your supplies, please speak to the Displays Coordinator on the day of.
The Police Motorcycle Drill Team will begin at approximately 9:30 a.m., beginning at Beta Ave. and Hastings, and the actual Parade will follow at approximately 10 a.m. There will also be a Family Fun Dash before the parade at 9:30 a.m. – please see the Hats Off Day website for more details (http://hatsoffday.com/family-fun-dash/). Spectators start arriving early to secure a good viewing spot, so it pays to be ready at your display site before the parade begins and capture the attention of people awaiting the parade.